Thursday, December 3, 2009

There is nothing cool about a murder.

There is something which is bothering me in Japan, a lot.

Japan is my home country, even though I have not lived there for the last twenty years (currently I reside in Los Angeles).

When I was visiting Japan on business in early November, there was a news of an arrest. A young guy, by the name of Ichihashi, was finally arrested after a year and seven months on the run from the authority. Ichihashi is suspected of murdering a young British woman who was teaching English in Japan at the time. I will spear you the details, but her body was found on the balcony of Ichihashi's apartment.

Ichihashi avoided getting caught by having his facial features altered by cosmetic surgeries multiple times. During the days leading to his arrest, his trail was discussed all over the news. It started looking like a plot from a TV murder mystery typically shown around 2pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Now the sick thing is that there are multiple fan clubs for Ichihashi on Mixi, the largest SNS in Japan, with some attracting more than 2,800 members.

Inside these fan clubs Ichihashi is called "Ikemen," a modern Japanese slang for good looks. There are women who claim they wish to marry him.

I need to say no more. I am in total disbelief. Come on, since when is a murder cool?

I realize I have promised to spare you with the details; however, I need to say this: There is nothing cool about a murder or a rape.

No comments:

Post a Comment