Sunday, May 3, 2009

R.I.P., Kiyoshiro Imawano

On May 2nd, a legendary Japanese rock musician, Kiyoshiro Imawano, passed away at the age 58. The cause of death, carcinomatous lymphangiosis. He was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2006. After a two year break, he had a "comeback" concert in Budohkan in 2008. Fans must have thought he had "conquered" the cancer. Well, he didn't, but that does not mean he lost.

I wasn't a fan, so it may seem strange to some on this sunny Sunday morning in Southern California I am watching YouTube videos of his performance one after another, while holding back my tears. As I was thinking upon his life, something hit me so hard that I could not do anything but write this blog.

Today I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge what an incredible contribution Kiyoshiro Imawano's life was to a lot of people. His songs and non-compromising ways that he expressed his views on the world touched the heart of many and made them stop and question conventions.

He was the guy who wrote a punk rock version of the Japanese anthem, Kimigayo. His album containing the song got temporarily banned. In the face of disagreements, he always stood his ground in such a manner his opponents just curl up his tail and back down. Miraculously he did this with love. He might as well have been the Gandhi of Japanese rock.

I have so much more to say, however, I would like to leave the readers to "feel" his songs. For anyone who cares to listen, here is the link.


No comments:

Post a Comment