Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bijin-Tokei (The Beauty Clock)

If you ask me if I am a feminist, or at least if I am sensitive to women's issues, I would say yes. I would publicly stand up to protect women's rights, I mean, my rights.

However, this "Bijin-Tokei (The Beauty Clock)", I could not pass up.

"Bijin-Tokei" is developed by a Japanese company, bijintokei, Inc. It is a downloadable gadget (widget) or application, and as the name suggests, functions as a clock.

Every minute is represented by a photograph of a beautiful woman holding a board telling the minute of the hour. A day consists of 24 hours. An hour consists of 60 minutes. Do the math. If you can stare at Bijin-Tokei for 24 hours non-stop, you get to see all 1,440 photos of beautiful women.

They (supposedly) took to the streets with a camera, spotted beauties of Tokyo, Paris, Seoul, and asked them to pose for a photo with a board. The product became wildly popular in Japan, and is enjoying 240 million PVs a month.

The clock is downloadable to PC desktop and to mobile phones including iPhone. If you would like the mac widget or google gadget, you can downloaded them here.

I found out about Bijin-Tokei through a business associate of mine. A politically correct- and global-minded man that he is, he hesitated for a moment to bring up the subject.

After explaining to me what it was, he inquired, almost coyly. "It would never fly in the U.S., or you think it would...?"

I could not help but say, "No, I'm afraid not."

For several days now since the discussion, I have often pondered. Why do I think it would never fly in the U.S.? Is it offensive? Because it somehow objectifies women? Is it in bad taste? I have actually downloaded the gadget onto my iGoogle desktop and I am waiting to see how I feel.

What do you guys think? I would like to see you guys weigh in on the issue. Just to be fair, though, bijintokei, Inc. is an equal-opportunity objectifier, and they have Binan-Tokei (The Good-looking Guy Clock) as well.

3 comments:

  1. I just took a look at the app and I find it very interesting that it would take off in Japan. I'm extremely curious as to why? Is that considered "racy" or something in Japan? I LOVE learning other cultures!

    Here in the US I don't think that it would fly... but sadly only because it isn't offensive enough. If they were women in bikini's on the streets of NewYork I'm sure it would be a hit. Isn't that crazy?

    I wouldn't be offended by good looking guys holding a sign with the time on it. The photo's aren't "racy" or full of sexual innuendo or anything like that... so as a man I don't feel objectified by the Guy clock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the app..I only saw what looked to be about the age of my daughter, 14, holding a sign showing the time. In the three minutes it was the same young child. I have taken woman's studies and am aware of different cultures and welcome all. However, I do not see this to be a cultural idea as much as I see this to be a moral and sexual ideal on the seller of the product, buyer or user of the app, parental guidance, and young woman in the app. I think it looks a bit pedophilish...
    Your friend..."A politically correct- and global-minded man that he is...", as you mentioned, where is the line between global-minded and morally correct for our children.
    It's too bad it's not a show you how to program on how to upload your own kids with personal memories and or photos...to have your own display. That would take the objectifying of anyone out of the "picture." But as the world turns...to each his own and i do believe in live and let live. I have the choice to not use the service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,

    As a Japanese woman myself, I must emphasize that Japanese women tend to look much younger than their actual age especially to the westerners' eyes. For instance, I am 38, but am always told that I look to be about 20.

    I assure you that there are no fourteen-year old in the display. Having said that, I found it interesting why something is perceived as objectification of a gender in one culture, while it is welcomed as a lighthearted entertainment in another. I also wanted to explore, having lived between the two cultures, why I feel so ambivalent about the issue. More on this later.

    ReplyDelete